Heaven is a crispy sourdough bread
I’ve tried making my own sourdough once before, but even though I nursed them tenderly, they died and since then I have not tried again. Mourned probably a tad …
But last year I met the Swedish master baker # 1 – Jan Hedh and after the meeting, I decided to learn how to bake for real.
I purchased me a scale (a MUST) stainless steel bowls and a digital thermometer. (I also redid my entire kitchen… but that’s another story).
And one of my favorite breds of Jans is his criso bread. It can be found in some supermarkets, but I decided to try to bake it myself. I mean…is there anything tastier than a good crisp bread with butter and liver pate and pickled cucumber? Or just as it is!
I’m a fan of crisp bread and the feeling to knead, roll and bake at home in the cabin felt so genuinely somehow. I glanced at my wood stove and thought “next time I’ll bake it there.” Just have to remove the cobwebs etc …
You just to try it, because it was much easier than I thought and it was absolutely delicious!
Here you go!
SOURDOUGH OF RYE
200 g water
200 g rye flour
100g grated apple
WHAT TO DO
1. Mix water (35 degrees C/95 degrees F) with flour and apple in a stainless steel bowl. Add more water if the dough is too firm. It should be like porridge.
2. Pour into a 2 litre glass jar with lid.
3. Set the jar in a warm place (I had it in the oven with the light on) for three days. 26-30 degrees C/ 79- 86 F, is the perfect temperature.
4. Stir the dough with a tablespoon once a day to speed up fermentation.
1.Pour the sour dough into a large bowl.
2. Ad 200 g rye flour and 200 g of water (35 degrees C/95 degrees F). Stir with a spoon and let it rise one day to the same temperature as before.
Day 5 Now you have a perfect sourdough. Time to bake crisp bread!
OLOF VICTORS CRISP RYE BREAD
About 8 large cakes
15 g yeast
500 g milk (3 percent)
200 g of Swedish honey
100 g sourdough of rye
700 g of wheat flour
150 g rye flour
100 g rye flour
200 g of wheat flour with a high protein content
10 g of sea salt
WHAT TO DO
1.Dissolve the yeast in the milk and add honey.
2 Mix the yeast and flour into a pap.
3. Let it rise until double in volume covered with plastic wrap for 30-60 minutes.
1.Add the rye flour and wheat flour Sto the pre dough and knead on low speed for 13 minutes.
2.Add salt and knead the dough for another two minutes.
3.Allow dough to rest for 30 min in a lightly greased bowl or plastic box with a lid.
4. Place the dough on a floured surface. Use rye flour.
5.Weigh pieces of 150 g and roll round buns, which may rest under canvas in ten minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C /392 degrees F.
7. Roll the dough, in rye flour, to plate size breads and nibble them with a fork.
8. Stick out a hole in the middle of the bread with a small glass.
9. Sprinkle rye flour on a baking tray and bake the bread golden brown for about 14 minutes. 10. Watch out! The time may vary depending on your oven.
11. Store them at a dry place.