Spring has been slow up here in the North, and as all Scandinavians do, we wait eagerly to take out the grill. I took out the grill in January so I do not care so much about, whether it is spring, summer, autumn or winter. I like to barbecue year round! Like my “sotare” on the barbecue.
And one of my favorites, which is simple and that will be a delicious dinner for many, is a whole grilled chicken.
So easy to make and so delicious! Spice it with your favorite spices, fill it with fresh herbs, onions and lemon, put a little extra butter under the skin to get it crispy. After about an hour and a half, you have a lovely, crispy bird, to serve whole on the table for all guests to cut a piece of.
Baked vegetables of all kinds is great and simple to make and this is a dinner that will take care of itself. Make a tangy butter sauce to go with the bird. Mums, as we say in Sweden.
GRILLED CHICKE, BAKED VEGETABLES WITH DILL AND HONEY & BUTTER LEMON SAUCE
1 large corn fed chicken (about 2.5 kg)
a bunch of spring baby carrots
12 potatoes with skin
0,5 cups of water
1 chicken stock cube
0.5 lemon (peel)
about 1 tablespoon lemon juice
0.5-1 tablespoons cornstarch desolved in water
salt if needed
1. You need a grill with a lid. Preppa grill with briquettes on one side of the grill and light the fire. Let the char coal get really gray and glowing. Meanwhile prepp your chicken and vegetables.
2. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees C/437 F. Peel or scrape the carrots with a knife. Cut potatoes into pieces. Leve the skin on. Place the vegetables in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle salt and dill seed and drizzle with honey. Bake in the oven for about 45 min to 1 hr. Stir occasionally.
3. CHICKEN: Wipe the chicken dry. Rub with salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder.
4. Cut two slices of butter and tuck between the skin and breast. Also, tuck some fresh thyme in there with the butter.
5. Cut the onion and lemon into chunks and put into the chicken. Tie the chicken together.
6. Put a thermometer in the chicken (in the breast), and place the bird on the side without the char coal. Put the lid on and cook it until it has an internal temperature of about 72-74 degrees C/165,2 F. The juices should be clear and the meat should be white.
LEMMON BUTTER SAUCE
1. Boil water, bouillon cubes, lemon peel and juice and let the broth reduce to half. Add the butter and stir in cornstarch. Taste and ad salt and more lemon juice if needed.