Happy Cinnamon bun Day!
Cinnamon Buns are my unbeatable favourite. On October 4th, the swedes celebrate the Cinnamon bun Day and so do I. It´s a must and if I had to choose a single pastry, it would be cinnamon bun . I would take it to a desert island and I would certainly order a cinnamon bun as my last meal.
In Sweden we grow up with cinnamon buns and I think it sticks with us during our whole life, because of the childhood memories, the sent and taste of golden brown buns give us.
In all the years I’ve baked my cinnamon buns for the recipe printed on the flour bag. Heat the milk and dip your finger in the liquid to see if it has body temperature … yes I followed the recipe to the letter.
But then I met Jan Hedh . Jan is a legendary Swedish pastry chef and baker. He is Mr. bread-and- cake and I had the privilege to meet him for an interview. He is a great humble baker and he loves to share his tips and advice.
Today, four of his books are on my book shelf and I have learned to always weigh all the ingredients and baking cinnamon rolls with pre dough .
It is simply the world’s most delicious sweet bread and I want to share it with the world.
12 large or 24 small
350g plain flour
12g caster sugar
250 g old fashioned milk
38 g yeast
650 g dough 1
250 g of wheat flour
82 g caster sugar
10 g salt flakes
10 g cardamom
125 g butter
about 2 tbsp butter
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
about 2 tablespoons cinnamon
1. Dissolve yeast in milk.
2. Weigh flour and sugar and pour into a bowl . Add the yeast milk.
3. Mix on low speed for 5 minutes .
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and place it on warm place and let it rise for 1 hour. ( I put it in the oven and turn on the light)
5. Place the dough in the bowl of the mixer. Add flour , granulated sugar , sea salt , cardamom and eggs.
6. Mix on low speed for 5 minutes.
7. Increase the speed and add the butter in small pieces. Mix for about ten minutes.
8. Place the dough in oiled bowl again, cover with plastic and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C/446 F.
10. Divide the dough into two parts. Roll it out into a thin sheet. Spread butter over it, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and cut into approximately 3 cm wide pieces.
11. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar .
12. Let the buns rise for another 45 min on a baking sheet on a baking tray under a towel.
13. Bake the buns in the middle of the oven for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown . Eat den warm with a glass of ice cold milk!
Congratulations Cinnamon Bun !